10 ways to freshen up the air, naturally!
Ten great – and 100 per cent natural – ways to freshen up the air inside your home.
1. Start with the most important thing: remove the source of offensive odors instead of just trying to cover up bad smells with good ones.
2. In a spray bottle, mix three parts white vinegar and one part water. Spray to your heart’s content (vinegar neutralizes odors on surfaces and in the air).
3. Crack open a few boxes of baking soda and place them strategically throughout your home (baking soda absorbs odors).
4. Scented extracts like vanilla can also be used. Dab a few drops onto cotton balls and place them on small dishes throughout your home.
5. Combine spices such as cinnamon and a few cloves in a cup of water; bring to boil, which will release the fragrance.
6. Make a citrusy air freshener by cutting open a few lemons or oranges and leaving them out on the table.
7. Add a few drops of an essential oil to a bowl of water – try refreshing grapefruit.
8. Release a fragrance by burning an eco-friendly soy candle (never leave candles unattended).
9. Grow herbs on your windowsill: Basil, mint and thyme can be grown indoors year-round. These naturally fragrant herbs will help clear the air.
10. Potpourri is a fun air freshener – and you can make it yourself with dried flowers or herbs and scented oil.
By Donna Paris www.canadianliving.com