Deck Make Over In 10 Easy DIY Steps
One day’s work can revive the most tired-looking outdoor spaces. Today’s do-it-yourself products make deck restoration as easy as 1, 2, 3, like this:
• Splash-test an inconspicuous area for water absorption. If the water penetrates into the wood it needs to be protected.
• Wet the plant life around deck and cover it to protect against product run-off.
• Wear old clothes, protective glasses and gloves.
• Clear the deck of all furniture and decorative items.
• Clean with the most effective solutions, like a product by Thompson’s called WaterSeal Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner. This product label recommends agitation with a deck brush following the application.
• Rinse with a garden hose or pressure washer and wet the plant life after the cleaning process.
• Repair loose screws or damaged boards on deck surface.
• Allow deck to dry for a few hours.
• Protect the finish and your work, with another top-selling DIY product (also from Thompson’s) called WaterSeal Advanced Formula. It is available in clear, honey gold, nutmeg brown, and natural cedar finishes.
• Clean up all equipment with soap and water.