Fire Prevention Week runs October 6 – 12, 2013
This year’s theme is “Prevent Kitchen Fires and Get Cooking with Fire Safety!“
Cooking is the #1 cause of residential fires in Ontario.
Many fire injuries and deaths are caused by:
- Unattended cooking and distractions
- Loose clothing and articles near the stove
- Children playing near the stove
- Attempting to extinguish a grease fire with water
- Attempting to cook while under the influence of alcohol.
Always make sure to:
- Stay in the kitchen and pay attention when cooking!
- Drink responsibly when cooking.
- If a fire occurs, get out immediately and call 911
Fire Department Resources
Click here for resources to support local Fire Prevention Week activities and events.
Fire departments can enhance their Fire Prevention Week campaign and educational activities with promotional kits available for purchase from the Fire Marshal’s Public Fire Safety Council website.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) also has many tools for a successful Fire Prevention Week! Please note that their Web site is in English only.