Residents Reminded To Stay Clear of Waterways
Up to 20 mm of rain expected for Guelph. Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement for Guelph and area. Up to 20 mm of rain as well as 4 cm of snow is expected, with a chance of freezing rain.
The heavy rain may cause flooding, and residents are reminded to be cautious around waterways and on recreational trails. When possible, residents are asked assist the City by clearing storm drains and catch basins in your neighbourhood to help prevent flooding.
City crews are currently clearing catch basins in areas of the city known to experience flooding, and cutting back snow banks to provide a path for rain and melting snow.
The City reminds residents of the following to stay safe during the winter season:
- Drive according to road conditions and pack an emergency car kit.
- Help keep storm drains and catch basins clear to prevent flooding.
- Be cautious around waterways and ponds.
- To keep roads safe and accessible, do not park across from another vehicle or driveway, and whenever possible, move parked cars off the streets to make room for snow plows.
- When parking on-street, residents are reminded to obey Guelph’s traffic by-law and ensure there is at least 3 m of clearance on the road – space required for other vehicles such as Fire and emergency medical services (EMS) to pass safety.
- If you’re able, please help clear sidewalks near your property. Seniors and residents with a physical disability who require assistance shoveling can call Snow Angels at 519-822-1155.
- Place garbage carts/bags at the curb on the morning of collection (by 6:30 a.m.) rather than the night before. Do not place waste on top of snow banks or on the road as these pose obstacles to the City’s snow clearing operations. Instead shovel a spot for your carts or bags, or place them in the driveway 1m back from the road.
- Keep fire hydrants clear of snow.
The City’s winter maintenance service helps ensure community safety every day, and in the event of extreme weather.
The City will continue to provide updates to the community, and invites people to subscribe to updates using Twitter or Facebook.
For more information
519-822-1260 extension 2949